Monday, September 7, 2009

Electric RC Racing's Resurgence...

While I was on break last night at work, I was sitting in the break room reading this month's Radio Control Car Action Magazine. I came across a very interesting article by Matt Higgins the magazine's Executive Editor, called "Electric Revolution" on page 18 in the "Starting Line." I have to say I agree with everything he had to say. I don't have his extensive experience in racing nitro 1/8 buggy's, because I mostly race 1/10 scale electric, but I see where he is coming from. He is right for the past 5 years people have been mostly racing 1/8 scale nitro because the only choice was nitro.

To truly compete in electric racing in the past you were buying new batteries every couple of months because you were running them hard. When it came to motors, brushed was the only option so you would have to cut the commutator every run to stay competitive, not to mention a fresh set of tires every heat to try and keep up with the factory boys. Well, now with brush less motors and lipo batteries your now mostly working on the set-up and your driving skills.

I was around for 1/10 electric racing back in the early 90's in Northern California and I can say the ROAR Electric 1/10 Off-road Nationals would have World Class drivers all the way down to the C Mains in 2wd and 4wd modified off-road classes. I mostly raced in Livermore, CA at Hobby Haven which isn't around anymore. In my opinion the best indoor off-road 1/10 scale track ever. That track hosted the International Reedy Race of Champions 1/1o Electric Off-road race for a number of years. I remember those races would go down to the K mains in just 2wd modified. To me that was truly some of the best RC racing I have ever witnessed. I was a junior in high school at the time when the Francis Brothers Mark and Matt started to emerge as the new fast guys at Team Associated. It was a treat watching some of RC history's best battles with Halsey, Kinwald and Masami. Man those were the good days.

That being said, Matt mentioned in his article that electric racing is back and soon will be on top. I agree, but I think a few things need to change. There needs to be less two day races! Seriously! Everywhere I turn around every track is hosting a two day race several times a year. We need to get back to the most prestigious races get those 2-3 day events. For example, if it is the Reedy Race of Champions, Cactus Classic, or the Shootout races that have a following should be a 2-3 day race, and the rest should be dropped to a one day event with a maximum of $25 per entry fee. Do this and the rebirth of electric will take off.... It is already making a move, I just want it to come back faster.....

Here is a link to Matt Higgins twitter page:

www.twitter.com/mattatrcca

Here is the link to Radio Control Car Action magazine:

www.rccaraction.com


Stay tuned for my next Blog...

1 comment:

  1. Jeremy, it would be cool if you can cover the Mazda race on the 26th. Hope you can make it. Good site btw!

    ReplyDelete