Tuesday, April 20, 2010

News and Notes 4/20/10

Good Morning,

I first wanted to give a huge shout out to Downtown Dave, Ed Garcia and Ray Butcher. At first I was a huge skeptic of racing my SC10 at 1/8 Wonder of Barona Speedway. I thought maybe the track would be too rough and too big for 1/10 scale trucks. Well I was very wrong! I was finally able to make it out to my new home track two weeks ago and that place is hooked up.... I really enjoyed myself... I will be doing most of my practicing and testing at this facility. Currently they are getting a consistent 50 to 75 drivers every Sunday when weather is permitting. Not to mention 10 to 15 heats of racing for only being open less than 6 months with official racing....

Currently, I will be starting a YouTube channel for Ed Garcia and 1/8 Wonder of Barona Speedway. He and I have been talking about this for that past couple of weeks. If you live in the San Diego area this place will be the hot spot this summer for sure, if your looking for some local RC racing. Ed mentioned to me that he is noticing a lot of the old fast guys that used to drive at Family Hobbies in Santee are starting to make their way out to Barona now.

He says, "that is a great sign that you know your doing it right when the top locals from the past are getting back into racing...." I will be out there this weekend on Sunday for sure. I will shoot a featured race for the YouTube channel. Hopefully I will have this channel launched by the end of the week. I have been pretty busy at work lately not to mention this Thursday is my 5th wedding anniversary! I won't mess with (Thursday!)....

While I was at Barona it was brought to my attention that a couple of the main guys from the socal-rc.com group have parted ways and are quite possibly going to be doing some promoting and working with El Cajon Hobbies. I wish these men the best and hope whatever they do works out. They have been great to me over the past few months and getting to know them has been a pleasure. I wish them the best of luck wherever this hobby takes them.

This past Saturday OCRC hosted the second round of the JBRL Eletric Series. It was a smashing success. There were 260 entries for a one day event according to the OCRC website. Jimmy Babcock delivered a very competitive field of drivers. I really enjoyed the 4 minute qualifying heats. Jimmy really knows how to run a race program. He is the best in the biz.

Jimmy I thank you for saying you deem as a "Hot Rod local in my main" even though I am based in SD! I'll go on record and say Hot Rod Hobbies is my favorite track to race at on the JBRL circuit... Hopefully I'll be there in two weeks.

I would like to mention a big thanks to Zach Rogers, Cody Turner and Matt Gilbert for helping me with programming my LRP ESC this past weekend. It was nice to meet Matt for the first time. If those of you don't know who # 7 Matt Gilbert is, he is the one to watch in the Intermediate Short Course Class this season.... He drives a red SC10 with Losi shocks. His truck is dialed out there... Not to mention I wish I had his tire setup this past weekend. I think he was the only one in the class with AKA Wishbones! I don't know how he does it but it is amazing to watch him drive that rig.

I religiously read some of the different RC rags and I have noticed that the pros really have been living up to there name and reputation at the track... I talked with Chad Bradley, extensively about about his 4 wheel drive truck and different radio settings. He is such a delight to talk with... I would say he is one of the most approachable guys to speak with should you have any questions about the products he represents. Pretty much every one of the top level drivers that I spoke with; Frank Root, Chris Jarosz just to name a few were very helpful.

Finally, Josh Mitchell stopped me at the tire cleaning station to ask me about the Brat's and when will I be bringing them out this year... I told him they will be at Bizbee's No Tell Motel come the 5th Round of the JBRL at Pegasus Hobbies. Quite possibly they might return at Hot Rod Hobbies depending on the fact if I get that day off or not! But Josh don't worry I am itching for some summer grilling and I know Brent and company will be happy to fire up the grill!

Finally, I want to end this blog on a great note! This coming Saturday my hometown of Modesto will be hosting its grand opening race. Modesto RC Raceway is finally going to be online and open. I am so happy to see some racing coming to my hometown. Now when I go home for a visit I have a place to getaway when I need a break from the family! I will be doing a special blog for Justin Avrett who is part owners of Modesto RC Raceway in the next day or two.

Stay tuned for my next blog....

Below is a link:

www.modestorcraceway.com

No comments:

Post a Comment